Strange thing about search engine rank is, there are websites that rank quite high on Google despite not being optimized properly for the search engines or when they do not even have back-links. There can be multiple valid reasons for sites enjoying great rank on search engines without showing any desperate attempt to get high position on a search engine.
- Click-through Rate: One part of Google depends on click-through rate calculating it in terms of percentage. This procedure helps a site owner to understand the number of clicks received from the total number of visitors to the website. The clicks also help determining the exact search term that the site ranks for.
There is no doubt about the fact that a higher percentage of clicks explain the plain and simple theory that a higher click-through rate denotes a more appealing listing compared to its competitors. If you are able to maintain this rank for a long while, Google attempts at making your page go even further in the upward direction on the search engine results page. Google is fully aware of the fact that web masters are capable of creating deceiving meta-descriptions and title tags for making their results better. So, Google also keeps a track on the bounce rate of a website. The bounce rate of a website helps Google understanding its relevance depending on a particular search term.
Having good click-through rate and lower bounce rate on the site is the key to success in search engine ranks. You need to log in to the Webmaster Tools and click on the site profile to know the exact rate of click. If you do not have a site profile, you should wait for a few days after adding site to the Webmaster Tools.
- Rank for Ageing Sites: The older websites always have a privilege over the new ones because of the fact that these sites are there on net for quite some time. They have better content and bulk amount of quality back-links to support their ascent in search engine ranks. It is almost a proven fact that a newly-built website with quality and relevant content along with tons of back-links often fail to attract as much traffic as an old website manages to get. There isn’t much that can be done to get through the problem other than offering it enough time and working on the process of improving search rank.
- Backlinks: It is not only back-links that bothers Google, but it keeps an eye on the relevancy and authority of the site too. Many of the non-optimized websites might have high quality backlinks that point towards the perfectly relevant internal pages. Even a handful of links from .edu, .gov extensions can help your site rank higher.
Apart from having the right kinds of back-links, the sites must have spot-on anchor text for such links. Google can have a look at the web page you are linked to and it will surely analyze the text around the link and text on that particular page. This process helps Google determining whether the link is relevant to the content of your site or not.
- Cross-linking: If the site of yours does not contain the best on-page SEO and several back-links, your site has chances to rank well through an overall perspective, mainly through cross-linking the pages. This particular method is not only important from breadcrumb or navigational perspective, but also from an in-content perspective. After adding in-content perspective, you have the choice of adding in-content links throughout the website and also cross-link the pages. They will surely increase in ranks.
Cross-linking web pages can help some of the web pages rank very high while it doesn’t work that well for the others. This only indicates that you might not be distributing authority and link juice throughout the entire website.
- Content Quality: Since the last Panda Update Google is empowered to determine content quality on different websites. It is armed with the tools to understand whether the site contains duplicate content or the same of lower value. It now does content quality analysis in a much better way than ever before.
Google often thinks that all these old sites have very high quality content. Besides, looking at the website, Google compares the same with others within the same field. Even if your content is of higher quality compared to all the other competitors, you have chances to get a better rank than them in near future.
- Competition: Ranking can come handy when the attempt for the same is being made for less competitive keywords. Low competitive keywords are not searched too often. Usually, Google does not update the result pages for quit low competitive terms, as more of the searchers focus on competitive search terms.
So, Google stresses more on popular search terms and results and update relevant pages more often compared to the pages that are not searched quite often.
- Growth Rate: The thumb rule for getting good ranks for a keyword is building a huge amount of relevant back-links and also by writing high quality content. However, Google is smart enough to understand when certain site owners grow their links unnaturally. Most of the sites on older domains grow their links naturally, at a normal pace.
Conclusion: There can be several reasons for which a site can rank well despite not concentrating on optimizing properly. You have got a hint at seven of them while even you have the opportunity to find a few more, provided you be a little more attentive while studying the difference between new and old websites.